3Likes
  • 1 Post By offthegrid1981
  • 2 Post By VSDM

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default My first hiking

Hi there,
I am really interested in hiking, going to have my first hiking with my friends in this December. Since this is our first hiking we are little tensed about the trip. Don't know what all things are to be packed. Need your suggestions and tips for hiking as well as for packing. Since it is winter, do we have to take extra safety measures? I saw a thermacell heated insole from an online portal <link deleted>, do we need to get this as a safety measure? We lack in money too, hence can someone mention the needy things for the hiking?

Last edited by Dru; 11-03-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Can you clarify?

Are you planning a day trip, or overnight backpacking trip? What is your destination?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annajo View Post
Hi there,
I am really interested in hiking, going to have my first hiking with my friends in this December. Since this is our first hiking we are little tensed about the trip. Don't know what all things are to be packed. Need your suggestions and tips for hiking as well as for packing. Since it is winter, do we have to take extra safety measures? I saw a thermacell heated insole from an online portal <link deleted>, do we need to get this as a safety measure? We lack in money too, hence can someone mention the needy things for the hiking?
Hey Annajo!

Well... i guess you are going for an overnight hike.

My recommendation is that you stick with the 5 C's. And assuming that you do not have the knowledge to build shelters, make cordage and/or are willing to go minimalist and extreme hiking.
Below, not in order of importance, as all are important.

Cover - A tent, a tarp, adequate layers of clothes. I would also add here things like a sleeping bag, blankets and sleeping pads. In other words this C covers stuff that will protect you from the environment.

Cutting device - a knife, a jackknife, a multi tool, an ax, a saw. Assuming that you are not totally knowledgeable of survival/extreme camping. I`d say that a swiss army blade will do the trick. as long as your are not planning to chop down trees, branches, build shelters, or prepare huge campfires. You might also add here cutlery gear to add some luxury to your kit.

Combustion device - Fire! yes we need fire, to keep us warm, or to prepare food, and of course... to boil water from a doubtful water source. Going minimalist, a fire rod, flint and stone should do. But hey, a BIC lighter will do it! For some luxury, you could go with a gas stove (and the gas container), an alcohol stove, a simple wood stove. or even check if the intended area you could make wood fire (please make sure you can keep it safe)

Cordage - The variety of tools that you can tie things around. Like Rope, nylon, fishing line, paracord, synthetic ropes, hemp ropes. Most modern cover equipment do come with guylines to tie up tents flyes. But if going minimalist with a tarp, you should get some cordage and make sure you know how to set up a proper shelter with a tarp. There are many other uses for cordage, like hanging a bear bag full of food, or eventually securing a tripod of sticks for cocking.

Container - Covers the recipients to carry water. Without one, you cant sterilize water... So, in other words, these should be made of materials that you can broil through a fire. Ziploc bags are good to transport water, but you will have to eventually boil it if it is from doubtful sources. Containers are also used to carry stuff around, like your backpack! or a hat, to pick berries for a lovely tea in the afternoon.

Here is a list of what I would take on a Hike with my 7 year old son. My personal preference going solo would probably be too minimalist to what seems to be your hiking approach.
Assuming a two day hike, sleeping one night, this would be the equipment i`d take. I`m not going over my son's gear.

Cover:
1 Tent fit for 2 adults
1 4x4 meter tarp for extra cover and creating a covered area for cooking (It rains a lot here)
1 2x2 meter tarp to set up right in front of the tent entrance. place to sit and play games
1 Anorak
1 Outer Shell Rainproof Jacket
1 Wool sweater
1 Wind protecting vest
2 merino t-shirts
1 rain pants
3 pair of merino socks
1 Sleeping bag for -5 degrees c
1 sleeping pad
Cutting Device:
1 fixed blade 24cm long blade (enough to chop branches and to battoning)
1 foldable saw
1 multi tool
1 Swiss army knife
1 army cutlery set
Combustion Device:
1 fold-able wood stove
1 small alcohol stove (fits right into my wood stove)
1 small flask of acohol for cooking.
2 fire rods
box of waterproof matches in a sealed container
2 bic lighter
a few cotton wipes embedded in vaselin
Cordage:
around 5 rolls of 10 meter long paracord
35 meter roll of paracord
assorted fishing lines in a survival fishing kit
thin yet heavy duty nylon string for tent, clothes repair (in a kit with sewing needles, inside a first aid kit)
Container:
3,5 litres of water in a camel back bag in my pack
1 1L Nalgene bottle
1 1L steel canteen this canteen also shelves my cooking pot, and secondary wood stove.
2 drybacks of around 8 l, that i usually carry clothes and food. and could be used to carry water.
1 55 Litre backpack
a few tablets of water purifier.

If i know there is a water source of running water in the area
id take the same things, though the camel bag and Nalgene bottle would be empty.

Yeah, i think it is pretty much of it. lol.
Where are you planning? take me along!!! i want to go out too!
VSDM likes this.

Gui Dwyer

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annajo View Post
Hi there,
@offthegrid1981 has a great list there.

I would just further mention the importance of your clothing choices. Note he specifies a few wool items, merino wool, in his Cover. The fabric choices are important. You want to keep warm and dry, at your base layers at the very least, with light and breathable fabrics.

Exposing yourself to the elements can leave you uncomfortable (too hot, too cold, too wet) so you're unable to enjoy your trip, or in more extreme cases can lead to illnesses afterwards.
KARVITK and offthegrid1981 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page