Hikers behaving badly: Appalachian Trail partying raises ire - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Hikers behaving badly: Appalachian Trail partying raises ire

Associated Press news story about problems on the AT, such as too many hikers, and more chance of a minority of them causing problems like using drugs, alcohol, occupying shelters for days at a time, partying in the shelters all night long, dogs in places where they are not allowed: especially at the northern terminus, Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park, Maine.

Quote:
Jensen Bissell, director of the park, said in a letter to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy late last year that AT hikers are "open and deliberate in their desire for freedom from all rules and regulations." He warns that the trail may need to end somewhere besides Katahdin if something doesn't change soon.
"If we have 2,000 hikers now, how will it be when we have 3,500 or 4,000 hikers?" Bissell said.
Some say there appears to be a growing sense of entitlement among thru-hikers, many of whom are just out of college or have enough money to leave work for months at a time.
"We had to take off half a year of working, and not a lot of people can do that," Karl Berger, a 24-year-old Maine resident known on the trail as GQ, said from a camp site in Baxter, where he was resting with his father behind finishing the hike up Katahdin. "I don't think a lot of hikers acknowledge that it's a privilege to be out here."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

I think the big problem is that we (particularly the provinces in Canada) are not growing the ranks of Park Rangers and Conservation Officers to match both the growing numbers of people heading out into the backcountry and the acreage of parks and forestry lands. It's been years since I've actually encountered a park ranger in the back country (although I did see smoke coming out of the Ranger station at Little Yoho this summer). When folks know that the chances of getting caught are astronomically small its easier to "push the boundaries". I can't tell you the number of times I've pulled into a 10 site backcountry campsite and see 20 tents set up (meaning half the folks haven't bothered to get permits)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Running, Coffee :)

There are definitely a few bad eggs out there, but most of the thru hikes I met out there were good, humble people. The bad eggs ruin it for the bunch & I'm not sure there is a good way to weed them out without negatively impacting those who give the trail the proper respect it deserves The day I summited Katahdin there were at least 10 other thru hikers I saw during the hour I was up there & not one of us did anything to disrespect the mountain. There were at least 25 day hiker up there who I found to be far less considerate (hiking off trail over the alpine veg, not yielding to uphill hikers, etc).
I actually met both of the guys who are mentioned in that article on my hike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

I agree, the vast majority of people out in the back country are considerate, respectful, and play by the rules. However we're seeing increasing media attraction to the back country (movies like Wild and A Walk in the Woods) which are encouraging more people to get out (which in general is a good thing), but with these numbers we also need to balance the resources needed to protect and enforce the rules. There is also the growth in what I call "extreme marketing", where people are attaching branding, sponsorships and social media to what would historically have been a private efforts. There is a whole cottage industry building up around people doing extraordinary things, and using them for book deals and as a springboard to the motivational speaker circuit. I don't fault Mr. Bissell in trying to attract attention to this, as these activities do amount to commercial activity and are having an increasing impact on remote areas.

Last edited by kellymcdonald78; 09-14-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

We've had inconsiderate hikers in BC as long as I've been hiking (20+years).

1. Dog owners - disregarding leash laws and not picking up dogshit, and the problem is only getting worse. Time for a blanket ban on dogs in provincial and national parks, as the majority of dog owners don't seem to get it.

2. Organized hiking groups - limit your group to 6-10 people please. Nothing more annoying than 20-25 people moving and camping as a group. Stop it.

3. Slow weekend warriors - guess what, the fact that I wasn't behind you before and now I'm right on your ass means I'm faster than you, so move over, don't keep throwing me dirty looks over your shoulder while trying to speed up. Just get out of my way.

4. People who don't drink and go to bed early - have a damn beer or carry a flask, you earned it. Don't make me feel bad for enjoying myself on my time off. I'm still going to get up and out-hike you tomorrow.

5. Dog owners - seriously, your dog is not special, he's a jerk just like all of the rest.

6. Cheapskates - pay your damn park fees, in full.

7. Litterbugs - quit putting flagging on the trees, you're messing up Darwin's system. It's a proven system.

8. Gun owners - I get that a gun is prudent in a lot of areas, but shooting East from the emergency shelter on Golden Ears is criminal. Get a clue.

9. People who plan to camp in the emergency shelters - this one is one of my biggest pet peeves. If I catch you doing it, you're getting evicted.

10. Time stealers - I don't care about your knowledge of the area, I'm not here to listen to you tell me crap I already know or don't care about. If I give you single word answers, I don't want to stop and chat, I want to keep moving. I know you're looking for an excuse to take a break, but leave me alone.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page