Fresh bread making while camping - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Starting Member

Fresh bread making while camping

I'm trying to find the best recipe for bread while out on the trail. The key requirements are:
  • As light as possible before cooking (e.g. minimal liquids, preferably powdered, water can be added up there)
  • No perishables (e.g. no butter, fresh milk, eggs etc). Powdered, freeze dried and long life is good (powdered milk, minimal cooking oil all ok).
  • Can be prepared while camping (can have some preparation of the meal at home, but can't require an electric whisk out on the trail).
  • Minimal cooking utensils. All you have are a 1L cooking pot, a lightweight skillet, a spoon, spork, knife, spatula and a small LPG camping stove. A dutch oven or heavy skillet is specifically not available. Packing in and packing out here.

So far, Bannock bread (http://artofmanliness.com/2011/04/04...bannock-bread/) seems to fit the bill. It requires taking only the mixture and a small bottle of oil up there, then cooking it on the stove using the skillet. However, I really want alternatives, better still, fluffier alternatives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Dru
Advanced Member

Given your list of requirements, you're probably better off not making bread.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Why not just take Pillsbury poppin fresh dough , IE: dinner rolls etc...?
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:58 PM

I'd say you can do a lot with bannock - the Tassajara Breadbook may also have some interesting bread recipes, I'll have a look

You could also try chapatis but it's more like a flat bread
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 PM

I need to make bannock next time i go hiking!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 AM

steam it...

I think I found the recipe/procedure here on clubtread but I cant seem to find it so I will try to go by memory...

Take whatever basic bread recipe you want... bannock or bisquick

put some roughly even rocks in a small pot with a well fitting top, fill with about an inch or so of water (the rocks should not be totally submerged), take a mixture of premixed dough and water and put some into a small lightly greased pastry pie plate, place this into the pot, put the top on and bring to a boil, once at a boil turn down to a simmer and let simmer for 10 - 20 minutes (time is a guess... just is the number in my head).

It is a bit heavy on the fuel burn but not too bad since typically it should simmer at a very low setting, the bread will be moist... very moist!

edit...

found this post...

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=34841

This could be the post I got it from but I thought it was from earlier than 2010, anyways same theory I just use rocks instead of a upside plate and I like the "heavier" small pie plate over flimsy muffin cups.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Given your list of requirements, you're probably better off not making bread.
Agree with this. I buy some buns at the bakery for hiking.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Starting Member

Taken from Robin Hood flour website:

1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) water, warm
1 envelope (8 g) active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp/11 mL)
1 cup (250 mL) milk
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or margarine
2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) water, warm
5 1/2 cups (1375 mL) ROBIN HOOD® Best For Bread Homestyle White Flour

Note: this makes two loaves of bread.

For your purposes substitute shortening for the butter, mix all the ingrediants together (except for water) before leaving home. Bring along a seperate bag of just flour for the kneading portion. Also bring a little oil or shortening to grease your pan for both the rising of the dough and for when you bake it.

You don't say how much experience you have with baking bread at home. If you have none, then bake lots of bread at home before you try to master it on the trail.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Bannock is the way to go. Just put your mix (flour & baking powder is the simplest) together in a ziplock bag. Once you're at camp simply add water to the back until it reaches the right consistency. Take some dough into a long strand or role and wrap it around a stick then roast it over some coals. That's what I've always done. It's amazing tasting, very simple and meets all your requirements.

http://www.survivalgrounds.com/bannock.php
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Starting Member

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...light-oven.jsp

where you can bake almost any bread recipe you choose. fits on your stove

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page