Study says bear spray more effective than guns - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

Study says bear spray more effective than guns

Here's the article on it from the CBC:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...y.html?ref=rss

However, the jury is still out on the validity of Ace's theory that a "BFK" is the defensive weapon of choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Intermediate Member

"BFK"

Thanks; interesting article. It's nice to see a compilation of data like that, and perhaps a bit affirming for those of us who carry bear spray. Although there's still something about a "BFG" that makes a person feel <s>aroused</s> safe.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM

That's an interesting article. It kind of makes me feel safer when in the backcountry (I always carry bear spray). Not that I would carry a gun into the backcountry anyways.

I guess the other thing is, if you spray a bear with bearspray, do the wildlife officers always go back and kill the bear? I know they do that sometimes when bears attack and hurt/kill humans.... but do they do it for 'close calls' as well?

I guess I was thinking that maybe bear spray might give the bears a second change?
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:12 PM

"For me, pepper, I put it on my plate."- Jean Chrétien
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
quote:Still, the study contains an important caveat about the use of bear spray. Researchers found 11 incidents where bear spray applied to objects like tents, with the intent to repel bears, backfired and attracted them.
ahh, backcountry condiments!
bears actually like the scent of pepper spray. the reason that the canister sprays are effective is because of the concentration of active ingredients in the initial blast(s). when i worked on the kicking horse resort (part of home turf to at least a dozen wild bears) we'd often see an animal return to the area that some poor sod had sprayed during their 'encounter', and roll in it. it was like the stuff was catnip for them!

personally, i don't carry anything, firearm or spray, and because of behavioral conditioning, bells seem to be a bit of a joke these days. in 30 years i've never seen a bear closer than 30 feet, and mutual "leave me be" has been enough.
yes, i count myself fortunate, as being a hunter, i don't tend to make a lot of noise when i'm out, by habit.
if i had to pick one though, i'd go with double ought, any day. they sting like **** at far greater distances than sprays, and i already know how to use a shotgun.
training is one factor that article didn't mention...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Im pretty sure I am bear repellent.
I have yet to see a bear, well I've seen one, but it was so far away it was a black blob in the distance.
When I hiked the rockies, both times everyone else saw a bear, but I was like 10 seconds too late! We even had a bear roaming around one of the campsites we stayed at, before starting our trek.
I even had a ranger warn me while I was in the outhouse once, telling me there was a bear roaming around...never saw it.

I dont carry anything. Would never have the coordination to shoot spray, nor the guts to fire off any kind of explosives. I can't stand the noise of bells.
Im sure my singing (Ive come to realise in recent years I sing when Im nervous... shhh, don't tell anyone), will scare most animals away. [:0][)]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Starting Member

Send a message via MSN to dvespiritu
for the present time i stopped carrying one because i have never had to pull the trigger even when i encountered bears on my trips. is there a place besides alaska that we must carry one? i would like to know just in case i venture out out of my usual haunts. the places i've never carried one are the wct, wonderland trail in mt. ranier, chilliwack area, maple ridge area, manning park, north cascades, stein valley south portion. maybe it's just dumb luck for me to never encounter aggresive bears but i can't rely on that. the best deterrent for me is just to make myself known on the trail. i usually make a lot of noise in dense, bushy areas or close to rivers or creeks that drown out audible noise. the last thing i want is to spook a bear.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dvespiritu

for the present time i stopped carrying one because i have never had to pull the trigger even when i encountered bears on my trips. is there a place besides alaska that we must carry one? i would like to know just in case i venture out out of my usual haunts. the places i've never carried one are the wct, wonderland trail in mt. ranier, chilliwack area, maple ridge area, manning park, north cascades, stein valley south portion. maybe it's just dumb luck for me to never encounter aggresive bears but i can't rely on that. the best deterrent for me is just to make myself known on the trail. i usually make a lot of noise in dense, bushy areas or close to rivers or creeks that drown out audible noise. the last thing i want is to spook a bear.
Well there are places that make you travel in packs, but I don't think a bear deterrent other than numbers is mandatory?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:55 PM

You know....I've been thinking about bears for a while.

When I first starting going to the Rockies, I was more worried about bears and bought spray...MAINLY because everyone seems so worried about bears there. Then I was surprised to see many of the long time hikers have even seen a bear there!

Anyways, I stopped taking spray anywhere because my whole life, I have never worried about bears here in BC and I've encountered them many, many times. I've been close, far, even surprised a mom and 2 cubs once. In any case, I never ever worry about it.

Now that's not to say I think they're harmless! You are DONE if they are so inclined. It's just that...I doubt many are ever inclined. Yes, it happens, but I guess I just think the odds are low and the danger overrated.

Does anybody else feel this way? I do wonder if Rockies bears are more dangerous being so tourist conditioned. Still, I can't help think people are too paranoid about this and know other old school back-country people who feel the same. I actually know people who carry spray while running in wooded areas INSIDE the city(Kelowna) because once in a while a bear ventures in. Others a bit outside the city have bears in their backyard every day and think nothing of it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Every spring this comes up. What a load of crap.
My money is going for a new toy for my pack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page