What does bear poo look like? - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

What does bear poo look like?

Just wondering if anyone has a picture of bear crap so I know what it looks like when i go hiking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Intermediate Member

Interest: Parenting, Telemarking, Hiking
Search Google Images for "bear scat" and you will find lots like this...

When the bears are out you will see it frequently when you are hiking.

My friend Milton will often say, "Imagine the size of the a**-hole that came from. Think of how big the animal must be to have an a**-hole that big!"

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Dru
Advanced Member

Interest: climbing and spraying
Black bear crap is usually full of fibre and stained black from berries.

Grizzly bear crap is usually larger, smells of pepper, and contains small bells and scraps of fleece.

----------------------------------------
no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: Frolicking in the snow, hanging out on summits, chilling out, eating, and laughing in the company of my friends.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Black bear crap is usually full of fibre and stained black from berries.
Grizzly bear crap is usually larger, smells of pepper, and contains small bells and scraps of fleece.
Poop talk... My favorite subject these days... [] I saw a lot of poop a few days ago but none of that kind, thank goodness!

Thanks for the topic, I'm glad I finally saw what it looked like. I guess I could have always googled it but never actually had the time to do it!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Yogi bear poop has remnants of pick-a-nick baskets!

...face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:My friend Milton will often say, "Imagine the size of the a**-hole that came from. Think of how big the animal must be to have an a**-hole that big!"
Coming from Milton that would crack me up too!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Intermediate Member

I thought it was kinda yellow . . . oh, wait, that's poo bear
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Intermediate Member

Interest: trail clearing
The first time my wife ever saw bear scat on a short hike, I started to pick it apart inspecting it.
"That's gross!" she said. "What are you doing?"
"Well, if you're really lucky," I reply "you can find a ring or a watch in this stuff sometimes)"
(She's terrified of bears)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:23 PM

Interest: hiking,hiking,hiking and more hiking
if you want to see lots of bear crap i would suggest hiking the centennial trail from the Skagit through to Lindeman lake in july-aug. i went through there last year and there had to be a big pile o'crap every 100 feet

If you cant outrun the bear, be sure to trip the person in front of you
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:50 PM

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...
This reminds me of a prank I pulled on a co-worker that was based in the same camp as me a few years back. He pulled a couple of pranks on a few of us so I just couldn't resist pulling one on him. One day when I was out mapping I came across a very (VERY) large deposit of dried bear poo. I put the poo in a sample bag and took it back to camp with me. That night I separated some of the poo from the rest and rehydrated it in another bag. When it was good & ripe, and late at night, I dumped it on the ground a few feet from his tent. I repeated this two more times during the week (there was lots of it). Others knew what I had done and joined in conversation with me at breakfast. I of course had Stephen Herreros' "Bear Atacks" book with me when I sat down at the table next to him. The topic of the conversation was how to tell the difference between grizzly poo and black bear poo. After careful examination the rest of us all agreed that it was definitely grizzly poo and based on the diameter, most likely a large one. I still can't believe we all kept a straight face. We then talked about how a person's diet might cause them to be more attractive to a bear than other people. Two of us actually moved our tents to sites further away from his tent. At times, he was visibly nervous.
I told him what I had done about two months later. We were pretty good friends at that point. I just made sure it was on the last day in camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page