Summit Stones by DSD - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
LWB
Hittin' the Trails

Default Summit Stones by DSD

On Monday August 22, a short distance below the pass overlooking Wind Valley, about 2km up the trail from Smith-Dorien Highway (east side Spray Lake), I found a ziplock bag containing a painted flat river cobble (would make an ideal skipping stone) about 3x3.5cm and a saddle-stapled, 60-page booklet entitled "An Adventure Muse". The booklet, whose pages measure 6cm wide x14cm tall, contains quotes on the nature of adventure, journeys, etc. The Booklet apears professionally produced, with stapled binding and machine-trimmed pages, with a blue cover. The stone and booklet were folded inside a tan-colored cover letter of sorts with more stuff on journeys inwards etc and closing with the words "A Summit Stone for you. May the spirit and meaning you create for yourself on your adventures be forever present. As I climb past my 120th mountain summit and journey beyond 150 lakes, rivers, and oceans.....DSD".

The stone is painted in a mountain-water-field motif, somewhat geometric in its layout, and the stone has the initials "DSD '04" on the back.

The ziplock bag was tucked into a crevice in a rotting log beside the trail and located not at the summit, but not far below it. It was somewhat disguised by the tan color of the letter in which the stone and booklet were folded, but being right beside a heavily-used trail I would have expected it to have been found Sunday, if it was not in fact put there on Sunday; or it may have been placed on Monday. I must have walked by it on the way up, but leading our party on the way down I spotted it right away.

So I wonder how many of these things are out there? How many have been found?
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

We had a post on this topic a little over a week ago, and assuming it was some kind of marketing or spam, the topic was deleted. Since then I've been in contact with the original poster, and discovered that although it sounds pretty unbelievable, it seems to be true.

One of the links that the originator of the previous topic (Ukeman) sent me was to another forum - and contained a post by our very own Dru. It seems he's received one of these gifts as well - so that makes 3 people that say they have received them.

If it's a hoax, it's a pretty good one...

Here's the content of the email I received from Ukeman:

Quote:
quote:
Hi there,

My name is Jonathan Miller, and I have, on two occasions found summit stones in the Kananaskis area.

About a year ago while hiking near Fortress Mountain, I climbed into a large crack in a huge boulder. I was surprised to discover a zip lock bag with a couple of typed sheets and a small, beautifully painted stone. On the back of the stone was written "DSD '04"

I was delighted with this find and intrigued by the cryptic and inspiring text on the typed pages.

Just this past month while scrambling again in Kananaskis country, I returned to my van to discover a similar package tucked under the windshield wiper.

On the back: "DSD '05" and in the packet a booklet containing a wonderful compilation of inspiring quotes from various wilderness adventurers and others who possess a deep appreciation of Nature.

This little booklet is 60 pages long containing over 200 quotes. It has been published and printed very professionally. It is clear that the entity behind these stones and this publication is a dedicated outdoors person going the extra mile to make the outdoor experience even more special for people like me.

I have been able to find out very little about DSD and the summit stones. I found your message board question posted back in 2003. and the reply regarding one found while sea kayaking the Broken Islands. I posted a question on a message board called club tread but had only sceptical replys. I suppose I should try the Canadian Mountaineering Message board too.

As a humorous aside, I got a little wierded out when I found yet a third packet on my kitchen counter, but it turned out that my wife had found this in the back of the van while unloading groceries the day after my hike. So I must assume that it was slipped into my back window at the same time as the other one was left on the windshield.

Cheers,

Jonathan Miller
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Yeah one was left on my bivi sack in Yamnuska Meadows in 2002. At that time the mysterious DSD had apparently only completed 100 summits. There was just a one piece sheet of folded paper too, not a stapled booklet. My stone is now resting under the bathroom mirror.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Kind of a good karma thing, beats leaving an urn of ashes. (Which Chwk Valley mountain was that at?)

I delight at finding cool stuff people leave in remote places, with some notable exceptions, of course. The older, the better...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

Kind of a good karma thing, beats leaving an urn of ashes. (Which Chwk Valley mountain was that at?)
I used to be Elk but the ashes urn has been turned to ashes itself.

Very cool. Wonder if I'll ever come across one, one of these days.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Neat! I hope to come across something like that too one day
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for restoring my credibility in regard to the Summit Stone mystery! It truly is an uplifting experience to find one of these gifts and to consider the great expenditure of time, tallent and energy that DSD has made in this unique endeavor.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

That is pretty cool.

Quote:
quote:So I wonder how many of these things are out there? How many have been found?
There is a ton of this kind of stuff out there (the painted stones may be a unique to the individual thing). I ran across a geocaching website a while back. Apparantly there are a whole wack of people out there that leave little trinkets hidden in nooks and crannies and then post the co-ordinates and directions.

There is a website where you can select from a HUGE list of places around the world. When I search using my own postal code I get over 10 pages of hits. I will not post the site...it's easy enought to find. There are enough people leaving crap out there (the stones are very nice).

Hopefully people use common sense and don't leave too much crap out there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Yes, and I found one in 2003 on my car windshield after a scramble up Wasootch Tower in K-country. I posted on LTV back then and got a reply from someone who had found one on a kayak trip to the Broken Islands group.

So that makes five people who have received a Summit Stone and counting...

I think we are all keen to find out who else has found one? It really is pretty cool. Somehow, based on the messages with the stones, this doesn't sound like geocaching to me, but who knows?

-Jonathan Lytton
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Good times wherever they may be!

I have to eat some "crow" on this one. I was incredibly sceptical on the initial post a few weeks back and of the opinion it was a hoax or someone peddling their wares so I asked for the thread to be removed. [:I] That said, I've never heard nor seen such a thing. I keep asking around and still no one has heard of this, but at least a few long time members have experienced this first hand so I stand corrected. If this is for real it's pretty interesting stuff.

----------------------------------------
"We don't slow down because we get old, we get old because we slow down" - anonymous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page